Friday 24 April 2009

To blog or not to blog

The title refers to the ongoing argument between myself and Sulky as I now like to affectionately call him, to his back anyway. I never seem to get a chance to get onto the computer these days let alone onto the blog site and so have a lot less to talk about then the blogs himself. However I'm not going to let small facts like this stop me !

I went to the shops today to get some fresh supplies and have decided it is time to blog about the fruit!( was actually Friday but see above for reasons I'm now writing!) It's all ripe ,it's all huge and it's cheap. I have to say we now eats grapes by the kilo as can't seem to get enough- no I'm not pregnant! Even managed to get kids to try fresh figs , one wanted more ,the other regurgitated and I shall leave you to decide which child was which.
I also have to say the fish is great here too although at the moment most is new to me and a lot of sampling will be needed before I work out which I like best . Current favourite is Rockling but with Barramundi, Snapper, Marlin, John Dory, Blue Grenadier, Blue Eye and Redfish to name but a few , who knows what will end up on top. Can I also add that you can roll up at the fish and chip shop and choose from the fresh fish (like a fishmongers ) and then decide how you want it i.e they will even just grill it for you.
Personally I like my fish and chip shops in Edinburgh, where it's often quite hard to recognise what fish it started life as as cos of the amount of batter disguising it, and you can usually follow up with a deep fried Mars bar . Oh and don't forget the famous brown sauce. The tomato ketchup here they have put into small plastic conundrums as they don't seem to do sachets. Let's just say that when the kids first asked me how to open these I proceeded to lecture them on the straightforwardness of their appearance only to open them the wrong way up and squeezed ketchup all over my youngest' arm which she found hilarious!

A visit to the doctors was also interesting as here you pay for everything or so it seems to me anyway. The doctor was very sweet even if he did resemble Harold Shipman although the resemblance stopped when he took out his pen and asked the girls what their favourite animal was and then drew a pretty good depiction of these. I shall be expecting similar when I next go for a smear test ! Still we got an appointment within 2 days of phoning and paid only the equivalent of a vet consultation in the Uk!

And for my last observations on Aussie life I would like to take you to the local swim school. Bizarre place ! Basically was made up of 3 pools ! One fairly normal baby pool you'd expect to find in UK , then next one up which was about 10m long and 6 lanes wide divided up into about 6 areas with the areas being changed every 5 minutes, even I didn't know how they decided who was using which bit , and then a 25m length section about 2 lanes wide, the oddest thing I've ever seen ! They also had 1 guy teaching that looked like a grandad and one lad who looked like he should have still been in school with a couple of more conventional teachers around too. Despite all of this there was the usual amount of children crying cos they were scared of the water and parents giving the teachers advice from the sidelines ! Not that much different from the Uk then .

Anyway I shall now return to bed after my secret visit to the blog site in the middle of the night ,having been woken up yet again by possums doing who knows what and hope they have finished and settled down for the night. Shame they don't hibernate in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment