Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Snot Block Crawl

Now before you go tearing around the house in distress thinking Oh no the Mungins have Swine Fever , I shall swiftly allay these fears and report the title refers to a food substance. The food substance in question seems to be a much loved ( and is quickly becoming so by us too) Aussie patisserie otherwise known as Vanilla slice. Now maybe some of you Brits will have partaken of this treat as youngsters but as we came from a Celtic background Mr.Kiplings were the order of the day usually in the form of Fondant French Fancies, which i still love !
We were first introduced to the " Vanilla Slice" whilst holidaying on the houseboat and these had come lovingly made by our host and her friend .
So when I asked the children today what they would like for a treat before swim school they replied "Vanilla Slice". Hohum I thought . Will I be able to buy these in the 6 bakeries we have in our stretch of shops called Middle Brighton ( I haven't counted the restaurants and cafes as yet as I am still making my way down these!)? Anyway I digress , a lot! So I wander down the street and enter the first bakers and spot straight away the vanilla slice, although these are iced on the top in pink and I haven't had any like these thus far . I order 2 thinking well they are for the kids and if the other bakers don't have any I shall have to come back and I am the only person in the shop at 9am and I have been staring at the cakes for 1/2 hour and if I don't buy something they'll think I've escaped from somewhere!
So i move on and when I come to the next Bakers lo and behold what should I aspy from outside ,as I didn't want to be the only person in the shop again staring at cakes , but vanilla slice in a form I recognised so in I went and bought 2 more !! Well I suppose Grant and me should really have 1 each as well.
Now finally I passed the really posh bakers . They all have pretty nice cakes in the window but this is the one where Grant bought some quiche and a couple of pecan tarts and it cost us 20 quid cos they didn't have any prices on em . Well in the window they had Vanilla slice - fancy style with layers of puff pastry a bit like a meuille Feuille so I thought in for a penny in for a bankers overdraft and went in and ordered 2 more !
At this point I'm beginning to wonder about my line of thinking but as usual a great idea comes to the rescue and that is we will have a Vanilla slice tasting competition and that way we will always know where to buy are Vanilla Slice from (hoping its not gonna be the last bakers as they are double the price of everyone else's.
So finally I go into Brumby's and ask for Vanilla Slice without even looking to see if they have any as I am now convinced everyone sells the stuff. " Do you mean Snot Blocks the woman asks laughing ( she probably spotted I'm foreign" ,"Excuse me I reply," Well that's what we always used to call em in the old days says the lady and we still get the old ones coming in asking for em like that !
Yum yum so now i have 8 Vanilla slices and the name Snot blocks in my head and my stomach is churning and i am thinking what the hell am i gonna do with 15 quids worth of snot block cos there is no way I can get over the mental picture that conjours up .And then I remember they are not for me anyway they are for the kids and Grant .Aaah rescued again!

No comments:

Post a Comment