Tuesday 26 May 2009

To swim or not to swim that is the question!

Will shaz and Caitlin be keeping up the 5.30 am swimming.

Mmmm let me think about that one!

So we arrive and we are initially the only loons there and when they say floodlit I think they exaggerate somewhat as at one end where "Coach" stands you can sort of see him vaguely ,I think he was the one in red, but the other end is pitch black. Not sure why they keep it so dark, is it to hide something floating in the pool or is it some sort of floatation experiment, you know where you lie in a tank with all light removed and they pipe in voices or was this a dream I had once.

Then " Coach " or whoever the man in red was, makes us swim 40 laps ie 40 times 25metres for warm up, but god knows how many I did cos I can't keep count at the best of times and at this unearthly hour in morning counting laps is like counting sheep with the same effect, so I just keep going until told otherwise.

I am joined a little later by two old men of stoutly proportions, and what with the dark, my lack of eyesight and the girths of these gentlemen, I now keep swimming into the buggers. One asks me if I have come from the "Mother Country"? but I am not 100 percent sure which one he means as Melbourne is such a melting pot of nationalities, and its so dark, so I just mumble yes incoherently as I crawl onto my next lap.

Caitlin meanwhile has been joined in her lane by 10 other kids, and they are now shouting: "Go, Go, Go", to each child like some sort of crazed fitness instructors.

Caitlin is having the same issues as me, i.e. can't swim in a straight line and keeps changing lanes, or was she attempting escape from it all?

At some point there is the first signs of light, and I ask what time is it?, as my legs are beginning to feel numb. Oh about quarter to 7! What says I? I thought it was only on for an hour, and we were ten minutes early, what are you trying to do - drown the foreigners?!

So we get out, and only then find (cos its a boys school) there are only one set of changing rooms. And the 2 old stout men have got out too, and they are naked in the shower. This is not a good sight at 7 am in the morning ,when your legs feel like jelly, you are so hungry you could eat Kangeroo ( so I must have been hungry) and you are barely conscious. So I shepherd Cailtin down the end with her moaning but I want a shower and me saying I don't think you do, cos she hasn't spotted anything amiss at this point. So we change quickly with me thinking I should have timed that better and Caitlin in a very loud voice still asking why we couldn't have a shower there!!

Will we go again? Well I shall let you know once the medication has kicked in!

No comments:

Post a Comment