Tuesday 12 January 2010

The Sauna

Shaz has escaped to Adelaide leaving me and a 6 pack to try and get the blog up to speed. I should really talk about the Taz holiday, but I have to get the weather out the way.

The last few days have seen a heatwave that has been as debilitating as the UK weather - although shorter lived.

The temperature in Melbourne yesterday peaked at 43, but made over 45 inland. It was surreal watching news articles with the rail company trying to avoid last years buckled rails by having someone walking along hosing the line down. Presumably Connex are exempt from the water restrictions the rest of us have. Didn't help them though as the heat caused such a sag in the power lines that one touched a train and shorted it out, blocking a large chunk of the grid.

I hvae to say I really don't understand all this: Melbourne Govt buy something, train track, power lines, big wheels - "You can have economy version rated to 30 degrees or for 10% more the rated to 50 degrees model". "I'll have economy", "you sure?", "oh yes, in June/July it averaged 15 degrees - why need more".

The overnight minimum extended the suffering with the equal highest ever overnight = 30.6 degrees.

There are times I like the UK winter, snuggled up under your doona, I mean quilt. But here its lying naked on top of the bed feeling sweaty rivulets falling onto the covers. Its not worth opening windows because you just let the heat in.

Still, typical Melbourne, 24 hours later and its lashing down and 20 degrees.

2 comments: