Sunday 4 October 2009

Sydney trip with Neiland Helen Sept 2009


Travelled with Neil and Helen for my (this being Sharon since I'm in Sydney about once a month) second trip to Sydney to finish off our sightseeing there. Managed to find a few more things that we hadn't done the last time .

The first of these was a walk around the Botanical gardens where we spent a great deal of time being amazed by the fruit bat colony ( also known as Flying Foxes ). The colony was suprisingly active for the daytime and a soaring temp of 30 degrees plus. We managed to successfully duck the falling gauno as we watched and heard these flying acrobats, seeking perches amongst the trees.

Inside the park we also discovered a large pond, home to numerous tame eels. These eels which looked much like Moray eels to me (I admit to having no wisdom to bring to the subject) were obviously used to being fed, as every time a child stuck a stick into their watery homes they would swim quickly over to this spot, and surface through the murky depths, mouths agape. Not that dissimilar to me at lunch time in a swanky restaurant, when the plates are hovered inches from me on their way to their ultimate destinations: I am not sure if it has been the eating in Sydney or our recent holiday that has added 1/2 stone to these rapidly ageing hips!

We also enjoyed a night cruise to Darling harbour for a swanky night time meal, and a day cruise to Manly where I enjoyed sitting on the beach wall under the stately pines admiring the view whilst the children: made sandcastles(Ciara), posed( Caitlin) and kicked sand in people's faces (Grant).

The trip was finished off by a very enjoyable morning around the Rocks Sunday market. All of us spent a good number of hours trying to decide which trinkets to purchase, all of us except Grant that is, who looked on in disbelief at the amount of time his wife, kids and friends would spend emersed in tack and still claiming to want to see more. He seemed to make himself scarce whenever I needed a second opinion on a purchase which only held me back a small amount in the end, as I had friends there to help for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment